21 April 2011

April Showers

"Our troubles have always brought us blessings and always will. They are dark chariots of bright grace. These clouds will empty themselves before long and every tender herb will be the gladder for the shower. Our God may drench us with grief, but He will not drown us with wrath, nay, He will refresh us with mercy. Our Lord's love letters often come to us in black-edged envelopes. His wagons rumble but they are loaded with benefits. His rod blossoms with sweet flowers and nourishing fruits. Let us not worry about the clouds, but sing because May flowers are brought about to us through the April clouds and showers." 
~ Charles Spurgeon

My older sister sent this quote in a text to me about a year, right when I was staring, or felt like I was staring, at the dark chariots. I read it, liked it, saved it and then forgot about it. I had taken it as a feel good text and so that was all it was. I didn't really believe that it could real, that what he was saying was in fact truth.  A few days ago, as I was skimming through the saved messages on my phone, I stumbled across this one.  After reading and then re-reading it, I "got" it.

This semester has been painfully joyful. People in my life have been affected by rape, death, betrayal, illness, mistreatment....More and more I've become aware of the brokenness of the world and the grief and anger that seems to be all consuming.  However, at the same time, I've also been able to experience supernatural joy and healing. I've been able to see that even the envelopes are black and burnt, they are loaded with some of the richest blessings. I am still waiting to see how somethings that have happened can possibly be good things, how a good God can use such pain and heartache for good, and turn the tears to joy. Regardless, I believe that He will.






No comments:

Post a Comment